When you seek legal assistance at one of our Help Desks, you will be able to meet with an attorney on the spot. This volunteer will help you begin the process of solving your legal problem.
This may involve:
- Explaining the legal process
- Preparing legal documents
- Helping you complete forms
- Contacting outside agencies and courts
This may also include representing you in court through the duration of your case.
Volunteer Lawyers Birmingham provides a free service to assist low-income residents with their legal needs. Your Help Desk visit is a one-time engagement with an attorney volunteer donating their time. Should you return after your first visit, you may be seen by a different attorney volunteer. Some clients may receive extended legal representation, which is determined on a case-by-case basis by VLB staff.
In order to serve as many clients as we can, we follow these guidelines:
- Space is limited and the program reserves the right to close Help Desk intake early to ensure all clients receive quality service
- Clients remain self-represented unless notified otherwise by a VLB Staff Attorney
- Clients are responsible for correctly filing documents in their cases and appearing for court dates