The current situation in our country, state and county is fluid and rapidly changing. Protecting the health of our clients, volunteers and staff is extremely important to us. In an effort to continue providing services to our clients, to the best of our ability during the COVID-19/Coronavirus situation, we have modified our services.
While we are suspending our in-person Help Desks, we will be having remote Help Desks by phone during the following times:
Civil – Tuesday 9am-12pm
Domestic – Wednesday 9am-12pm
Civil – Thursday 9am-12pm
Please call 205.250.5198, ext. 3 during these times, and we will direct you to an attorney volunteer who can offer advice and counsel by phone.
Clients may also call during regular business hours, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., Mon.-Fri., and our staff attorneys will be available to speak with callers who meet our residency and income requirements. We will prioritize calls for those seeking help in domestic-violence situations or threat of eviction. However, if you are in immediate danger from domestic violence, please call 911.
“The Supreme Court of Alabama issued an administrative order on March 13, 2020, suspending all in-person court proceedings for 30 days. . .” However, Statutes of Limitation may continue to run during this time.
Please note that we handle civil matters only and are unable to address criminal matters.
Thank you for your patience during this time.
Covid-19 Specific Relief
IF YOU ARE IN IMMEDIATE DANGER FROM DOMESTIC VIOLENCE, PLEASE DO ONE OF THE FOLLOWING:
- Call 911;
- Go to the Family Court of Jefferson County to file for a Protection From Abuse (PFA) – 120 – 2nd Court North, Birmingham, AL 35204, Telephone: 205- 325-5491; or
- Go to One Place Metro Alabama Family Justice Center – 1135 – 14th Avenue South, Birmingham, AL, Telephone: 205.453.7261
EVICTIONS IN JEFFERSON COUNTY
- If your landlord has already filed an eviction before the state of emergency was issued you should still mail in an Answer.
- No new evictions can be filed at this time.
- A landlord may not physically put you out of your home during this state of emergency.
FANNIE MAE, FREDDIE MAC, FHA – SUSPENDING FORECLOSURE SALES AND EVICTIONS OF BORROWERS FOR 60 DAYS.
- Homeowners affected are eligible for forbearance plan to reduce or suspend mortgage payments up to 12 months
- Please reach out to your mortgage company for forbearance and modification options
• Price Gouging – Report cases of coronavirus-related price gouging to the Alabama Attorney General’s Office.
– To Report – HTTPS://WWW.ALABAMAAG.GOV/CONSUMERCOMPLAINT OR
• Phony “Cures”
– Report: FTC.GOV/COMPLAINT
• Phone/Internet Scams