The current situation in our country, state and county is fluid and rapidly changing. Protecting the health of our clients, volunteers and staff is extremely important to us. In an effort to continue providing services to our clients, to the best of our ability during the COVID-19/Coronavirus situation, we have modified our services.
While we are suspending our in-person Help Desks, we will be having remote Help Desks by phone during the following times:
Civil – Tuesday 9am-12pm
Domestic – Wednesday 9am-12pm
Civil – Thursday 9am-12pm
Please call 205.250.5198, ext. 3 during these times, and we will direct you to an attorney volunteer who can offer advice and counsel by phone.
If you are an attorney willing to volunteer by phone or by representing clients in virtual hearings, we need you! Please call Michelle Horn Brown at 205.623.0901 or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org. Volunteer opportunities are not limited to these virtual Help Desks.
Clients may also call during regular business hours, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., Mon.-Fri., and our staff attorneys will be available to speak with callers who meet our residency and income requirements. We will prioritize calls for those seeking help in domestic-violence situations or threat of eviction. However, if you are in immediate danger from domestic violence, please call 911.
Please note that we handle civil matters only and are unable to address criminal matters.
Thank you for your patience during this time.
Covid-19 Specific Relief
IF YOU ARE IN IMMEDIATE DANGER FROM DOMESTIC VIOLENCE, PLEASE DO ONE OF THE FOLLOWING:
- Call 911;
- Go to the Family Court of Jefferson County to file for a Protection From Abuse (PFA) – 120 – 2nd Court North, Birmingham, AL 35204, Telephone: 205- 325-5491; or
- Go to One Place Metro Alabama Family Justice Center – 1135 – 14th Avenue South, Birmingham, AL, Telephone: 205.453.7261
EVICTIONS IN JEFFERSON COUNTY
- The Alabama moratorium on evictions has now expired, with the exception of certain types of housing (see below). Many landlords are allowed to move forward with eviction proceedings. If you are at risk of being evicted, call us at 205.250.5198, ext. 3 to see if we can help.
- A federal moratorium on evictions will remain in place until after July 25 for residents of public or income-based housing. These residents cannot be evicted at this time. Call us at 205.250.5198, ext. 3 if you are threatened with eviction.
FANNIE MAE, FREDDIE MAC, FHA – SUSPENDING FORECLOSURE SALES AND EVICTIONS OF BORROWERS FOR 60 DAYS.
- Homeowners affected are eligible for forbearance plan to reduce or suspend mortgage payments up to 12 months.
- Please reach out to your mortgage company for forbearance and modification options.
• Price Gouging – Report cases of coronavirus-related price gouging to the Alabama Attorney General’s Office.
– To Report – HTTPS://WWW.ALABAMAAG.GOV/CONSUMERCOMPLAINT OR
• Phony “Cures”
– Report: FTC.GOV/COMPLAINT
• Phone/Internet Scams
Learn More About COVID-19 Relief
Click here for information about expanded unemployment compensation due to COVID-19.
Click here for information about applying for benefits.
Click here for information about SNAP and healthcare access.
Click here for information about SSI recipients and COVID-19 economic impact (stimulus) payments.